Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wednesday, May 2nd, 1967

Unexpected Relief


A bit of a surprise this morning, Johnny and I were sleeping in the church, we have been reading Gone with the Wind a lot and Johnny loves it. I don’t think he has ever actually sat down and read a book before. I love to watch the sun set, and occasionally the sunrise. Anyway, I was awakened by an unexpected face this morning, and it helped to ease the pain of loneliness, it was Dally. I think he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him; he had grown a huge brown beard and carried a heater! He hadn’t heard that we had cut our hair and I had died mine. He gave me a letter to read from Sodapop, He misses us and is wondering where we are staying, the cops think that Johnny and I have fled to Texas, a little false tip off from Dally helped. Dally took us out to lunch at Dairy Queen in his pal’s Ford Thunderbird. We ate until we thought we would burst.

Then came the unexpected news, Dally told us that Cherry Valance is now acting as an agent for us! Dally says that she just showed up in he little Stingray and told the gang that she would get them some information on the Socs! This was just downright amazing, especially because Bob was Cherry’s guy, and Johnny killed him! More unexpected news, Johnny just told us that he is going to turn himself in! He says that there is no point in me being separated from my family for the rest of my life, and that a year in jail is better than a lifetime in a cold, lonely church. Dally and I weren’t sure what to think.

I’m sitting on the steps listening to the animal life down in the valley and watching the sunset, Johnny is out hear with me, but he’s reading Gone with the Wind.

The sun just went down and it’s beginning to get cold. Goodnight.

1 comment: